Resolution On Marriage
Adopted at 2004 EMC Annual Conference
Whereas God created humans as male and female;
And whereas God made Adam a wife in the person of Eve (Genesis 2:21-23); And whereas God declared, ” For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united with his wife, and they will become one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24);
And whereas the unique relationship of husband and wife serves as a picture of the relationship between God and His people (Jer. 3; Ezek. 16; Hosea 1-3) and between Christ and His Church (Eph. 5:22-33);
And whereas homosexual relationships are sinful and biblically described as “unnatural,” “indecent,” and “perversion.” (Romans 1:26-27);
And whereas the definition of marriage as exclusively being between a man and a woman is being challenged by some in today’s society;
And whereas traditional marriage between a man and woman is the Godordained
building block of the family and bedrock of a civil society.
Therefore, in order to cherish and protect marriage in its role as a crucial asset to our society, let it be resolved that:
1. We renew our commitment to the Biblical Standard of traditional marriage as being between a man and a woman;
2. We forbid Evangelical Methodist clergy to perform any so-called “marriages” between same sex couples and that we steadfastly hold that such unions do not qualify as a marriage;
3. We call for a greater determination by Christians to honor marriage commitments and to resolve differences in Christ-like, God-honoring ways rather than in seeking a divorce.
4. We encourage a greater commitment from churches and other religious institutions to provide premarital counseling for prospective couples and mentoring for married couples which
will model and sustain healthy marriages.
5. We call for the strengthening of marriage laws emphasizing the covenant nature of marriage in all States.
6. We promote the reservation of marriage, civil unions or any other marriage-like union by every individual State to the union of one man and one woman.
7. We strongly encourage our members to petition their governmental leaders to take a stand for traditional marriage;
8. We promote the adoption of a Federal Marriage Amendment to the United States Constitution.